New Leader Essentials
Who is New Leader Essentials for?
Everybody! This is Scouting 101. After taking fast start training, all leaders take New Leader Essentials before taking the specific training for their leader position. So whatever your position, Cub Scout Den Leader, Assistant Scoutmaster, Venturing Advisor, Committee Member or anything else, this training is for you.
If you have not taken a volunteer position yet, this is a great training to teach you about the overall Scouting program. Parents and grandparents can take this short training to become familiar with the ideals, purposes and methods of Scouting.
Each person only needs to take New Leader Essentials once. When you change leadership jobs, you only need to take the specific training for that new leadership position. You do not have to retake this New Leader Essentials portion.
New Leader Essential Objectives
- What Are the Goals I'm Trying to Accomplish?
- The Mission of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Aims and Methods of Scouting.
- The concept of stages of youth development.
- How units are organized, the involvement of youth, adult leaders, the committee, and the chartered organization.
- How do I find people resources, program literature, and information about the leadership process.
- How youth members and their parents financially support Scouting activities.
- Fiscal support from the troop and chartered organization
- Leadership requirements for keeping Scouting safe
- BSA policy on drug, alcohol, and tobacco use and abuse
- Be ready to take on leadership of your Scouting unit with confidence.