YOUTH PROTECTION TRAINING
The Boy Scouts of America places the greatest importance on creating the most secure environment possible for our youth members. To maintain such an environment, the BSA developed numerous procedural and leadership selection policies and provides parents and leaders with resources for the Cub Scout, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Exploring programs.
1. Complete a BSA Adult Volunteer Application and give approval for a background check.
California Assembly Bill 506
California Law AB 506 (“AB 506) took effect on January 1, 2022 and supports our mission to protect the youth in our program from neglect and abuse.
Working with the other Scout Councils in California, we have created the California Scouting web portal (www.CaliforniaScouting.org) that will be your point of reference to help answer your questions about AB 506 and connect you with the resources you will need to fully comply with the law.
The law requires employees, administrators, and volunteers of Youth Service Organizations to complete training in child abuse & neglect reporting and undergo Live Scan background checks. All registered BSA volunteer positions, administrators and employees including camp staff must comply with AB 506. Please visit the FAQ page for additional guidance.
Below is the 3-step process to be in compliance with AB 506. We ask that all volunteers complete all steps as soon as possible as this is a requirement to be a leader.
1. REQUIRED STATE MANDATED REPORTER TRAINING
NOTE: This training is in addition to BSA Youth Protection Training
2. STATE TRAINING COMPLETED
• Upload your state Mandated Reporter Training Certificate to WLACC. Click on WLACC’s link https://californiascouting.org/training/.
3. LIVE SCAN BACKGROUND CHECK
• Fill out the Request for Live Scan Service form found on WLACC’s page listed at https://californiascouting.org/background-check-info/
• Find the Live Scan site nearest to you https://www.certifixlivescan.com/.
• Bring the complete Request for Live Scan Service form to a service provider. It is critical that you use WLACC’s Live Scan form, as it includes our routing information for your background check. Instructions on how to complete this form are available on the Resources page.
• Each individual must pay a fingerprint rolling fee ($20 – $40) and FBI background check fee ($17) to the Live Scan service provider.
Thank you for completing this important process. Together, we are providing a safe Scouting program for thousands of youth across California.