The Merit Badge Counselor list is available to the Unit Leader only. The Unit Advancement Chair may request the list from their Unit Leader. If you have any questions please contact your District Merit Badge Coordinator:
Qualifications for being a Merit Badge Counselor:
- 18 years of age or older.
- Registered as District Merit Badge Counselor
- Youth Protection Trained (Certification expires each year after taking the training).
- Recognized as having the skills and education in the subjects for which they are to serve as Merit Badge Counselors. (Some Merit Badges require specialized licenses)
- Be approved by the Council Advancement Committee (Western Los Angeles County Council allows each District to individually approve counselors, using the registration processes, with affirmation of the District’s Merit Badge Counselor list by the Council Advancement Committee).
- Be able to work with Scout age boys and girls.
- Your term as a Merit Badge Counselor is for the calendar year only.
- You must be registered with the Boy Scouts of America as a Merit Badge Counselor. This is a District position so you have to register in addition to your unit registration.
- You do not have to pay a fee to be registered as a Merit Badge Counselor.
- You must fill in a Merit Badge Counselor Information Sheet.
- Take Youth Protection Training.
Procedure for New Counselors (or those not renewing by Jan 1)
- Complete the BSA Adult Application.
- Read and sign the Disclosure/Authorization form; it must have an original signature.
- Complete the BSA Adult Application by answering all of the questions.
- Complete the Merit Badge Counselor Information Sheet.
- Indicate each Merit Badge you would like to be a counselor for.
- Describe your background and qualifications for each Merit Badge.
- This page needs an original signature.
- Submit proof of your current Youth Protection Training
The District Merit Badge Coordinator will review the application for completeness and qualifications. You will be added to the District Merit Badge Counselor List and the applications will be forwarded to the Council Service Center for completion. You may request your Merit Badge Counselor Card from the Merit Badge Coordinator.
Annual Renewal as a Merit Badge Counselor:
- You will receive an annual renewal email, usually in early October.
- Read and verify your information, then follow instructions in the email.
- Answer the questions completely as appropriate:
- Indicate your desire to continue counseling.
- Provide the date you completed Youth Protection. You must renew every year.
- To add additional Merit Badges, complete the Merit Badge information sheet, including your qualifications.
- Submit the renewal email to the District Merit Badge Coordinator.
- Youth Protection Certification: Merit Badge Counselors must take Youth Protection Training. Please include a copy of your certificate with your application.
- Additional Resources for Merit Badge Counselors: BSA Online Guide for Merit Badge Counselors
- If you have any additional questions about becoming a Merit Badge Counselor,